Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Bouchercon Bound



I'm packing my bags, getting ready to head for Baltimore and Bouchercon 2008. For those of you not familiar with Bouchercon, it's the annual gathering of mystery writers and mystery fans, named after Anthony Boucher, a science fiction/mystery writer-critic and one of the founders of the Mystery Writers of America. It's expected to draw a couple-three thousand attendees, all of whom have murder on the brain. A lovely group, indeed.

This is my first-ever Bouchercon and I'll be on a 10 a.m. Saturday panel entitled "Yesterday's Newspapers," with authors Rebecca Drake, Jack Getze, Marion Moore Hill and LJ Sellers, moderated by Bryan Gilmer. We'll be talking about reporters and newspapers in mystery novels. A lot to work with here, and it should prove to be a lively discussion. I'm just hoping I can hold up my end of the deal. I've been receiving emails from other panelists who are DOING ACTUAL REASEARCH ABOUT THE TOPIC. So maybe I'll just nod a lot...

Mostly I'll be doing what everyone else comes to Bouchercon to do -- hang out around the hotel bar (there better be several of them) and trade stories with other mystery writers and readers. I'm looking forward to crossing paths with dozens of folks I've had the pleasure to meet through the mystery writing biz, including Jim Born, J.D. Rhoades, Joe Konrath, Tasha Alexander, Don Bruns, Lee Child, Jonathon King, Harry Hunsicker, NM Kelby, Linwood Barclay, Tom Cavanagh, Sean Chercover, and aw hell, if I list everyone then I won't get a lick of real work done today. I'm also looking forward to the Friday cocktail party thrown by my publisher, St. Martin's Minotaur. My editor, Mighty Marc Resnick will be there, along with my publicist, Hector DeJean, and Andrew Martin, the Minotaur publisher. And never one to miss a good time or a free drink, my agent, Jumping Joe Veltre, has also decided to take the train down from New York City. (Private, personal note to my lovely wife, who can't make the trip: I promise not to drink as many beers as the last time I was around Resnick and Veltre. Promise...)

One more thing -- if any of you know Baltimore, please tell me your favorite places downtown for eating oysters, clams, crab cakes and all manner of seafood. I'm turning this into a culinary mission, too. Stay tuned...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to learn more about Boucher, I have a new biography out, appropriately entitled Anthony Boucher!

Jeff Marks

Bob Morris said...

Jeff --

How fortuitous. I'll look for it. But wasn't Anthony Boucher a pseudonym?

MikeH said...

Take the ferry to Fells Point and just walk around until you hear the right music. There are many great old bars to enjoy there.

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to read your new book ! Remember, even in times of financial crisis there will always be readers .... It gives us a chance to excape the real world. So Thank you for giving that to us.
Kathleen Bell - Tampa reader

Anonymous said...

oH, Fells Point has the best restaurant where you eat crabs from a a paper bag open in the middle of the table. cant recal the name of it but everyone will know

Bob Morris said...

Mmmmm....I'm sitting at Orlando International right now and I'M HUNGRY. Can't wait to have myself some crabs. Hope I can find some soft shells...thanks for the suggestions, Mike and Anon

And thanks for the bolstering up, Kathleen. Is reading a depression-proof industry? Here's hoping...

Anonymous said...

Bob, your website looks awesome and I'm stoked to read the new book! Have a great time in Baltimore, can't wait to hear about all of your tasty food finds on your tour! See you Feb. 5th in L.A.!

Jenn Rutland

Anonymous said...

Yahooo ! I new book !!! Thank you thank you thank you.

Hope in Alabama

Anonymous said...

U h .... oh. I think I hit the post button more than I should've.

D.Ross said...

Sorry about the foot. I Did the same with a stingray.
Best Mango I've had was in a panga boat in Ascension Bay Mexico.
Have fun in Baltimore.
Can't wait to read the new book!